Open Work Permit

An open work permit allows you to work in Canada for any employer because it does not restrict you to work for a specific employer. However, you do not need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). Secondly, you do not need a proof that an employer has submitted an offer of employment through the Employer Portal and paid the employer compliance fee.

You need to check if you will have to pay the open work permit holder fee along with the work permit fee. Check the fee list of Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the most up-to-date application fees.

Please read the following carefully in order to know more about the eligibility criteria depending upon your situation.

Open Work Permit-Eligibility Criteria

You may be eligible for an open work permit if you:

  1. are an international student who graduated from a designated learning institution and are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit
  2. are a student who’s no longer able to meet the costs of your studies (destitute student)
  3. have an employer-specific work permit and are being abused or at risk of being abused in relation to your job in Canada
  4. applied for permanent residence in Canada
  5. are a dependent family member of someone who applied for permanent residence
  6. are the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student
  7. are the spouse or common-law partner of an applicant of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program
  8. are a refugee, refugee claimant, protected person or their family member
  9. are under an unenforceable removal order
  10. are a temporary resident permit holder
  11. are a young worker participating in special programs

In each of these situations, you must meet additional criteria to be eligible.

We can help you to apply for and obtain an Open Work Permit depending on your situation. You can easily Contact Us by filling out our form.