Explore all options for your Work Permit

The Temporary foreign worker program or TFWP is a program of the Government of Canada to allow employers in Canada to hire foreign nationals to work for their company temporarily on a Temporary Work Permit.

Temporary foreign workers are admitted to Canada through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program and the International Mobility Program (Government of Canada) with the objectives of addressing short-term labour shortages and advancing Canada’s broad economic and cultural interests. The Statistics Canada reported in January 2018 that the number of temporary foreign workers present in Canada increased from 52,000 in 1996 to 310,000 in 2015

Temporary foreign workers have the same employment rights as Canadian workers. The employers in Canada can hire Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) for their Canadian Company to work in Canada temporarily through a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

A positive LMIA or a confirmation letter grants permission to the employer who proves that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job as no Canadian worker is available and that such hiring will not negatively impact the Canadian labour market.

In some cases, you can qualify for an Open Work Permit:

  • Post-Graduation Work Permit for international students
  • are a student who’s no longer able to meet the costs of your studies (destitute student)
  • have an employer-specific work permit and are being abused or at risk of being abused in relation to your job in Canada
  • applied for permanent residence in Canada
  • are a dependent family member of someone who applied for permanent residence
  • are the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student
  • are the spouse or common-law partner of an applicant of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program
  • are a refugee, refugee claimant, protected person or their family member
  • are under an unenforceable removal order
  • are a temporary resident permit holder
  • are a young worker participating in special programs

Some IT/Tech workers may qualify for a Work Permit for IT Workers through a facilitated process as these workers are in great demand in Canada because of tremendous growth in IT/Tech sector.

Lastly, most of the Temporary Foreign Workers (TFW) can apply for Canada immigration for Foreign Workers. They may also immigrate to Canada under Canada Experience Class (CEC), Express Entry or under various Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP).

As mentioned above there are lot of choices available to Temporary Foreign Workers in Canada. Please, contact us if you want to start your application for Canada immigration.

All employers in Canada can contact us who want to apply for an Arranged Employment Opinion (AEO) to Service Canada to get a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) for their Temporary Foreign Workers