Study in Canada Overview

Following is an overview for those who want to study in Canada. The Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is responsible for processing your application for a Study Permit and you must fulfill all requirements.

An overview of your Eligibility Requirements for your study in Canada

You can study in Canada if you:

  1. are enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
  2. prove you have enough money to pay for your tuition fees, living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
  3. obey the law, have no criminal record and get a police certificate (if required)
  4. are in good health and get a medical exam (if required)
  5. prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your study permit expires

You are eligible for faster application processing for your study in Canada through the Student Direct Stream (SDS) if you live in China, India, Morocco, Pakistan, the Philippines, Senegal, or Vietnam

You can study in Canada at any school in Canada without a study permit if your course or program lasts 6 months or less, your studies aren’t part of a longer program and you are not taking prerequisite courses

Minor children don’t need a study permit if they’re in kindergarten, they or their parents are refugees or refugee claimants, they’re in pre-school, primary, or secondary school, and they’re already in Canada with a parent who has a work or study permit. When minor children reach the age of majority, they must apply for a study permit if they want to keep studying.

If you need to extend your permit, or it expires while we process your application for an extension, you’ll also be able to continue studying because you have implied status.

If you have a study permit and you’re registered as a full-time student at a DLI, you may be able to work on-campus or off-campus. If so, your study permit will include a condition that says you’re allowed to work while studying.

An Overview-Documents Required for Study Permit

You need these documents to apply for a study permit:

  1. proof of acceptance: Your school must send you a letter of acceptance. Include the original or electronic copy of your letter with your study permit application.
  2. proof of identity: a valid passport or travel document
  3. proof of financial support: You must prove that you can support yourself, and the family members who come with you, while you are in Canada.

You can prove your funds with

  1. proof of a Canadian bank account in your name, if you’ve transferred money to Canada
  2. Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution
  3. proof of a student or education loan from a bank
  4. your bank statements for the past 4 months
  5. a bank draft that can be converted to Canadian dollars
  6. proof you paid tuition and housing fees
  7. a letter from the person or school giving you money or proof of funding paid from within Canada, if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program

Minimum funds needed to support yourself as a student (and family members who come with you)

Example: If you and 2 family members you will need

•             living expenses: $10,000 (for the student)

•             living expenses: $4,000 (for the first family member)

•             living expenses: $3,000 (for the second family member)

•             Total: $17,000

The IRCC would process your Study Permit application and if they approve it, they will send you a letter of introduction. This letter is not your study permit. You need to show it to an officer when you arrive in Canada. You would also be issued a Visitor Visa If you’re from a country where you need a visitor visa or an eTA If you’re from a country where you need an eTA.

 Documents Required upon Arriving in Canada

When you meet the border services officer, you may have to show them:

  1. a valid passport or travel document
  2. the letter of introduction the visa office sent you when they approved your study permit
  3. a copy of a valid letter of acceptance from your school
  4. proof that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Canada
  5. either a valid Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or visitor visa (temporary resident visa)
  6. Children under 18 should have valid identification with them.

Health insurance

The Government of Canada doesn’t pay for medical costs for foreign students. You have to purchase health insurance.

The above was just an overview of study in Canada. You can contact us for more information.