Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is for skilled workers who have Canadian work experience and want to become permanent residents.

Minimum Requirements for The Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

  1. meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability
  2. have at least 1 year of skilled work experience in Canada, in the last 3 years before you apply. The work experience must be full-time or an equal amount in part-time
  3. have gained your work experience by working in Canada legally
  4. You must be admissible to Canada.

According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification, skilled work experience means:

managerial jobs (skill level 0), professional jobs (skill type A),technical jobs and skilled trades (skill type B). Your work experience can be in 1 or more NOC 0, A or B jobs.

You must show that you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the National Occupational Classification. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

Note: Self-employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student (such as a co-op work term) doesn’t count under this program.


There is no education requirement for the Canadian Experience Class. However, If you want to improve your rank in the Express Entry pool for immigration purposes, IRCC needs a proof of completion of your certificate, diploma or degree.

  1. If you went to school in Canada, you can get points for a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian educational institution or
  2. If you have foreign education, you can get points for a completed certificate, diploma or degree by obtaining an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report for immigration purposes from a designated organization

Language Ability

You must:

meet the minimum language level of Canadian Language Benchmark 7 for NOC 0 or A jobs or

Canadian Language Benchmark 5 for NOC B jobs by taking an approved language tests for writing, reading, listening and speaking

Your language tests are valid for 2 years after the date of the test result and must be valid on the day you apply for permanent residence.

Documents for Your Express Entry Profile

  1. passport or travel document
  2. language test results
  3. education credential assessment (ECA) report if you want to get points for the education you got outside Canada
  4. provincial nomination (if you have one)
  5. written job offer from an employer in Canada (if you have one)

Please contact us for more information about how you can qualify for Canada immigration if you have a Canadian work experience. Explore more options under Canada Provincial Nominee Programs.