Sponsor your Spouse or Common-Law Partner

You can sponsor your Spouse or Common-law Partner provided you and the applicant meet the basic Eligibility Criteria. Canada gives value to the family reunification. Therefore, IRCC aims to process your application within 12 months.

VisaOne Canada specializes in Family Class Sponsorship. We have successfully processed hundreds of sponsorship applications with great success.

There are two major classes of Spousal sponsorship:

  • In Canada Class: for your spouse or common-law partner who lives with you in Canada, and their dependent children
  • Outside Canada Class or Family Class: your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner who lives overseas, and their dependent children
  • your dependent children Class

If you want to apply under the Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada class, your spouse or partner may be able to apply for an Open Work Permit. The application to sponsor your Spouse or Common-law partner is made jointly by the Sponsor and the Sponsored person (Applcant):

  • application to sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent child, and
  • your spouse, partner or dependent child’s application for permanent residence.

The application is processed in Canada for Sponsorship Eligibility. The file is then transferred overseas to the respective visa office to process an application for permanent residence for the applicant.

The obligations of Sponsor

The Sponsors must agree to and sign an undertaking that they would provide financial support for the basic needs of their spouse or partner and their dependent children.

Basic needs are:

  • food, clothing, shelter and other needs for everyday living,
  • dental care, eye care and other health needs that aren’t covered by public health services.

Eligibility Criteria to sponsor your Spouse or Common-Law Partner

You can sponsor your spouse, partner if:

  1. You’re at least 18 years old
  2. You’re a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
  3. If you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents.
  4. You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada.
  5. You’re able to prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
  6. you can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor

Please contact us if you need more information about sponsorship or want to apply for sponsorship