Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA)

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. An eTA is electronically linked to a traveller’s passport. It is valid for up to five years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first.  If you get a new passport, you need to get a new eTA.

You can apply for your eTA only on Government of Canada’s official website. Applying for an eTA is a simple online process that takes just a few minutes to complete. Most applicants get their eTA approval (via an email) within minutes. It only costs $7 CAD. With a valid eTA, you can travel to Canada as often as you want for short stays for up to six months at a time.

Who needs an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)?

Visa-exempt foreign nationals need an eTA to fly to or transit through a Canadian airport. These travellers do not need an eTA when arriving by car, bus, train or boat (including a cruise ship).

Lawful permanent residents of the U.S. need an eTA to fly to or transit through a Canadian airport. Therefore, they must present a valid Green Card and a valid passport at check-in.

American- Canadians can travel with a valid Canadian or U.S. passport but Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, need a valid Canadian passport. U.S. citizens are exempt from the eTA requirement and must carry proper identification such as a valid U.S. passport

Canadian permanent residents need a valid permanent resident card or permanent resident travel document.

When your eTA is approved, it will be linked to the passport you used at the time of your application. You need to present this passport when you check-in to your flight to Canada.

However, an eTA doesn’t guarantee entry to Canada. When you arrive, a border services officer will ask to see your passport and other documents. Therefore, you must convince the officer that you are eligible for entry into Canada.

Please contact us if you need assistance with your eTA.